Happy New Year! I hope that 2020 is starting out well for you. I wanted to share some thoughts I have and things that have inspired me to set goals with TRUE meaning, and set them in a way that you can actually control, so you can create your best days this year!
- Think about who you want to be when you are 80 years old, and be brutally honest with yourself about each goal you set this year.
Does it help you create a life that you will look back on with a smile? If not, cross it OUT. Find the thing that does get you there, and do that. I was inspired by Lara Casey’s thought on this very thing. I read it on her blog and it stuck with me. It is such a great way to think about goals and I will never forget it.
- Set goals that you can control.
Again, this takes brutal honesty with yourself. For example, I originally set a goal that I wanted to grow my Instagram business following by 3,000 in 2020. Then, I realized that’s just the outcome I want, but not the way to get there. So, to reset this goal in a way I could control, I needed to set goals for the things that create that end result. So, my new goal for that is to post daily on Instagram, and run a giveaway each month to increase engagement. I can’t literally make people want to follow my account, but I can do things that increase the likelihood. Make sense? 🙂 It’s such a different way to look at goals, but it makes SO much logical sense!
So, would your crazily happy 80-year-old self approve of this goal? And do you really have control over making it happen or is it wishful thinking for things beyond your control? That’s it. This thought shift will change your whole approach, so go do it!
And in the spirit of transparency and love for you reading this, here are my own goals for 2020 in the categories of Personal and Business:
- Pay off all personal debt
- Make recipe cards of family favorites for my recipe box
- Make wedding album (we got married in 2016!)
- Make a First 5 Years of Business photo album
- Make a First 5 Years with James and I photo album
- Make an Evie’s First Year photo album (Dog Mom status!)
- Print photos for home frames
- Yoga/meditation 2x a week
- Sunshine on my skin for 20 minutes 2x a week
- Time with God daily
- Find a primary doctor in this area
- Go to the dentist (I haaaate the dentist!)
- Decorate my home more
- Make a yearly production schedule
- Blog 2x a month (off to a great start!)
- Get new brand photos done
- Get 10 new YouTube reviews for the 2020 Ashley Shelly Planner before Spring
- Get 20 YouTube reviews for the Ashley Shelly Planner for 2021 launch
- Run Facebook ads consistently based on product launch schedule
- Run giveaway to build email list
- Post daily on Instagram or stories Monday-Friday
- Run monthly giveaway on Instagram
- Create a new product (top secret for now!)
There they are, friends! I’m super excited for this new year and what it holds for all of us. If you haven’t set your goals yet, you have plenty of time. Just start today. Even if it’s just one goal to begin with, and go from there. As long as you start.
Also, if you don’t have your 2020 planner yet, check mine out and save 10% on your whole order with code GOALS2020 by clicking here.
Vickie Mendoza says
Makes complete sense Ashley! Thanks for the great blog and for sharing your goals. I will be anxiously waiting to see what new product you will be creating 🙂 Did you pick a 2020 word for the year? Mine is “peace”
So glad you enjoyed reading! Thank you 🙂 I did pick a word for 2020 and it is “purposeful”. Love your word as well! Wishing you the best in this new year!