This month, I was super excited to be invited to First Coast News for an interview on their daytime talk show, The Chat! It was such a great experience and I wanted to share it with you all. If you’re interested in how it went or how to prepare for your own TV appearance one day, keep reading. At the end I share the entire video segment!
Any chance I have to talk about my passion, the Ashley Shelly brand, is a great time for me. It’s so natural to chat with others about my company because it’s truly my lifestyle.
The day of the interview, I had to arrive about 30 minutes before the actual cameras started rolling. When I walked in I was greeted by the receptionist and then taken backstage to the green room (which was actually blue) to get mic’ed up and check my hair/makeup. At this time they also gave me a card that had all of the questions on it that the show hosts would be asking me. The other guests who were being interviewed that day were also in the room and we all chatted for a bit and got comfy.
Next, we were all escorted onto the set where the magic happens. There were bright lights and cameras and digital screens everywhere! They had a seating area on set for everyone to sit before your actual segment was being recorded. I watched one other person interview before I was called up for my turn. I spent most of that waiting time looking over the questions before finally deciding that if I just spoke about my brand the way it naturally came to mind, it would be for the best, and it definitely was!
We chatted about The Budget Notebook first. All of the ladies loved the idea and could relate to the overwhelm we all feel trying to keep everything in balance. We all lead busy lives as business-women, Moms, college students, and so much more. It was so fun to talk with other women who get it and understand each other’s challenges in this crazy life we live!
Next, we moved on to The Ashley Shelly Planner. I really felt comfortable on the set by this point and got all of the initial jitters out. I think we will all feel nervous to begin with during our very first TV interview, but it doesn’t have to last the entire time. I was enjoying myself so much sharing my products.
The Ashley Shelly Planner is something I am so excited about and love, it was easy to translate that onto TV. It was such a joy to be there and have the experience of being on a professional set, feeling the nerves and energy all at the same time! It was a total rush.
All four of these ladies were so sweet, and even asked me the tough questions, which I appreciated because it gave me the chance to truly share how useful these products are. If you are speaking from the heart and just responding honestly to interview questions, your true personality will shine. I have to say, I was very nervous the night before and while waiting even on the day of, but I faced that underlying fear and I’m so glad I did! It was worth it.
So, here are my top tips for preparing for your own first appearance on TV!
- Watch the show you are going to be on multiple times so you are aware of how they interview and what to expect.
- Pick out your outfit prior to the day of so you have time to shop if you need to and not be in a rush to pick out something that morning. This is really important.
- Choose clothing that does not have patterns, especially stripes. They do not show up well on TV and will vibrate visually. I chose a color that flatters my fair skin tone and did not distract. You want people to be looking at your face and listening to you, not focusing on your outfit.
- Wear makeup that does not make you look shiny, so a matte foundation or add powder afterwards. With so many lights on set, you don’t want to be glowing in a bad way. Also, wear lipstick that does not rub off easily onto your teeth. I wore a matte liquid lipstick and it was great. No issues.
- Set out everything you will need to get ready the night before. I set out my makeup exactly the way I would need it, all of my hair needs and accessories, and my jewelry. I wanted to have no decisions to make the morning of. I just wanted to execute getting ready. Can you guys tell I’m a planner designer yet?! haha
- Be comfortable with how you will talk about your brand/topic/etc, but don’t overthink it. Like I said, I went over the questions and thought about my answers, but in the end, what came naturally at the moment was the most important thing. In a talk show atmosphere like this one, it should feel natural and casual, not forced.
- Do not look directly at a camera unless you are directed to. I never once looked into a camera for this interview. You should be looking directly at the host who is talking to you, and speaking to all of the people at the table with you, not looking at the camera man.
- Everyone is nervous, so don’t worry! I stumbled over the word budgeting/balancing in the very beginning but I just kept going and I forgot all about it a second later. If you slip up on a word, don’t let it bother you, just keep plugging along. We are humans and no one is perfect, and thank goodness no one else expects you to be.
- The entire process will go by in a flash! I spent days thinking about this and preparing for it, but the day of went by so quickly and the actual interview went by even faster.
- Be aware of WHERE your microphone is placed on your body. Mine was on my shirt and being my first time on TV, I did not think about this at all. So when I was showing my products and leaning them against my chest, I was rubbing them on the mic itself and it made scratchy noises. Try not to touch or put anything against your mic. Oopsie!
I hope you enjoyed reading about my experience and if you ever have the chance to be on TV, I hope my tips come in handy!
Now, let’s watch the full segment!